Cooking Class Craze
Cooking classes have been steadily growing in popularity over the last 15 years, and while I’ve attended a few, I’ve taught dozens (maybe even hundreds), and I enjoy them immensely. Over the years, the styles and teaching approaches of cooking schools and classes have certainly evolved.
Before I got into the world of cookbook writing and TV hosting, I would teach private cooking classes in friends’ homes on the side while working as a pastry chef at a local restaurant. This little on-the-side job ended up giving me far more than some extra cash -- I was able to hone my presentation skills, listen to what the guests were interested in learning and gain confidence in public speaking!
When looking to attend a cooking class, there are a number of styles and formats to consider:
1. Intensive - Many professional cooking schools and colleges offer serious cooking classes for the devoted home cook on weekends or evenings. These are often hands-on and can be lengthy -- up to 5 hours.
2. Easy and Fun - Grocery stores, kitchen stores and even bookstores often host nice 90-minute to 2-hour cooking-demo classes. You watch and learn a few skills, and the price is reasonable.
3. Hands-On - Want to do it yourself? These classes really allow you to immerse yourself. Classes on knife skills or kitchen basics are common in this style.
4. Touristic - Travel just about anywhere in the world and you can find a cooking school to let you get comfortable with the local fare and techniques. This is great because after your travels, you can go home and replicate the dishes you enjoyed.
5. Private - Many cooking schools can host a private cooking-class event. This could be for a birthday party, a shower or a corporate team-building event.
Whatever style of class you wish to take, there is something out there for you. And the homework is the best part: making and eating the lessons you’ve learned!
Have you ever taken a cooking class? Are you interested in taking one? Join the conversation in the comments section below!
Have a lovely weekend. See you Monday when I’ll be back to announce our next contest!